Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Capstone Day 3...

Okay, to start off with...I love. love. LOVE my teachers!! I am so blessed to have had both of my Capstone teachers before, and we really get along and I just love them and Im so happy!! *happy sigh*

After 2 full days of gleaning the goss, it turns out that the previous 2 teachers assigned to teach Capstone were a little bit naughty and got caught out. This prompted a meeting with 'the powers that be' and resulted in those 2 teachers getting kicked out of the program (but are still teaching other areas of electrical) and 2 other teachers getting a pay rise and promotion into the Capstone program! :)

Teacher Number 1: Barry Green. He taught me Circuit Design w-a-a-a-y back in 2nd year. Barry is a way cool guy who doesnt tolerate swearing in his class and is super fair. If you're unsure about something, he will give you a chance to get it right before correcting you and when he does correct you, he doesnt do it in that super-annoying look-down-my-nose-at-you kind of way. Basically, Barry rocks!!

Teacher Number 2: Mark Space (ok, his last name isnt really Space, but we call him that as an in-house electrician's joke). Mark has taught me so many subjects, I cant really name them all...suffice it to say that he has taught me HEAPS. Mark HATES Telstra with a passion, so if you bring it up in class, expect to lose the next 45 minutes (at least) to him ranting and raving about what a crock Telstra is! He is very fair but wont tolerate mobile phones in class...he has been known to kick out some lads cos they were playing on their phones instead of listening to him! :) Mark also rocks!!

With the arrival of these two teachers into the Capstone program, we have also seen a revision of the way that Capstone is conducted...suffice it to say that the pressure of Capstone (which before was this way HUGE intangible thing) has now been reduced (still an incredibly hard 2 weeks, but now its do-able!)

Today is going extreemly well, and Im quite pleased with myself! :) This morning I have already installed my first prac, tested it, passed it, pulled it down and packed it all away...and all of this before lunch!! This qualifies me also for the "I ROCK!" statement.

In between doing all of this, I also had the wonderful opportunity to meet and greet some of my old teachers that I havent seen for 6 months or so.

Enter Red (real name something ridiculous like Kevin!) who has been married and divorced twice, hates all of his in-laws, swears like a trooper and is just generally great for a laugh! I remember last time I came (and several times before that even) when we would all be studying REALLY hard for our upcoming exams, and Red (who wasnt even our teacher at that point) would duck into the nearest stairwell with a length of conduit and use it like a trumpet!! It REALLY echos!!! LOL! :) Anyway, turns out that Red has gotten married (AGAIN?!) and is currently really happy...Im sure that will wear off soon ;) LOL!

Another old teacher I ran into today was Peter. He is this incredibly cranky, grumpy South African (white) who likes to yell "YOU FAIL" to anyone who is testing their work! This results in a really nervous student (who probably wasnt doing anything wrong to begin with) and Peter laughs and finds it really funny :) Anyway, he sounds like he's this old crusty dude, but really, we've kind of bonded so it was really great to catch up with him and he was asking about how I was going with Capstone and things like that. I really enjoyed speaking with him.

After lunch we're going to have a lecture by the Electrical Safety Office, cos basically in about weeks we'll all be qualified electricians running around out there in the big, bad world (OK, once we're out of our time of course) so they want to make sure that we'll be working safely and not endangering ourselves or others by using unsafe work practices etc. This will be followed by me frantically working on my assignment (I'd like to get it out of the way by this evening so I can concentrate on other, more important things) and more studying for Capstone.

This is Day 3 and all I know.

2 comments:

  1. Michael here. Hey darling I'm glad you had a good day today and got to catch up with some old teachers that you like. I'm not the least bit supprised that you did well in your prac 'cause you are the best. Keep doing what you're doing!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your last line! We are thinking of you Bec!
    xo

    ReplyDelete