Saturday, March 12, 2011

Bribie House continued...

When we were cleaning up the Bribie house last Thursday, we found some unexpected surprises! :) Among them were: A tube of savlon (Grandad was fanatical about having plenty of savlon on hand), approximately 55 red ends (from Nan and Grandad's W-A-Y old christmas tree), and we even found where Grandad had engraved his name and the date of concreting into a small slab of cement! :) The funny thing was, this particular part of the slab has been under his permanently fixed work bench that has been in place practically since this slab went in, I reckon! :) So no-one would have seen it if we hadnt had to rip it out due to termites. Here's a picture of it (please note the presence of a foot to show size):




This next photo was taken to show it's exact location (in case Mum's memory fails ;) ) My greatest apologies to my Mum who, after 9 solid hours of cleaning, looked a little less than her usual spiffy self.



This photo is of the front of the house. Im hoping in the next few months (if Im up to it) to go back and take another photo of the front of the house to complete my before-and-after shots. Turns out the new owners DONT want to tear it down...they want to renovate it! :) This makes me exceedingly glad :) Please also note the foliage hanging down over the top of this shot (in the foreground) this is from a bottlebrush tree (like the one next to the front steps). I remember as a little girl decorating said tree with all of the 'old' christmas decorations so that family members would be able to find the house (for family lunches etc)...it didnt occur to me at the time that they already knew where the house was, because they'd been there the year before, and the year before that, and the year before that etc...
So when I was small I could easily reach the top of the tree to decorate it...now, it's lowest braches brush the top of my little car! I definately CANT reach the top of it now!! :)



This next photo makes me a little sad...ok, it makes me a lot sad...because it not only has a For Sale sign in it, but it also has a SOLD sticker across it. To me, this represents an end of a beautiful era, and I can never go back to being Grandad's favourite *sniff*. But in another way, I am actually glad its sold because there's no point in holding on to a valuable asset if its not being used to its full potential. Houses always develop problems and fall apart if they're not used regularly. Bribie was SO useful for us during Blocks, or when we'd had a late night in the city and were too tired to drive all the way home, or even just when we wanted to get away and had somewhere that we could go for free.



This last photo is of the view from the front of the driveway...the view is HEAPS better from upstairs, but sadly we'd already locked up when I thought to snap a picture.




All in all, Bribie was full of great and poignant memories for me (Michael had our first 'real' date there...he's tight, I know) and I will miss it greatly. However, that chapter of our lives is now closed and Im eagerly looking forward to what happens next!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I hate saying goodbye to things. I'm glad you had so many good times in the house with family and friends though :)

    And on the upside, at least this means that you're finally finshed 'cleaning'... right?!

    xo Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to say goodbye to a house! I love houses. Life just keeps moving us along, doesn't it? Impossible to hold on to everything, and still have room for new possibilities...
    (Ok, I think I'm starting to sound a bit like Yoda.. )
    xo

    ReplyDelete