Im actually talking about one of our resident bulls - his name is Old Grey Bull.
Here he is a few months ago, standing on the wall of 'our' dam:

He is truely a magnificent specimen...and not, Im not being funny. He really is the 'ideal' that we are trying to achieve in our breeding program.
He's a funny old bugger - in his entire life, he's only been (successfully) in the yards twice! He has this very irritating habit of jumping out EVERY time we yard him. Yes, I realise that his legs are only short, but as he weighs a little over a tonne, he has the weight behind him to simply crash through the solid timber yard fences, or push through the (slightly less substantial) metal fences.
Thus, the only time he's EVER been tagged and branded was about 4 weeks ago! We estimate that he is around 10 years old - definately a crafty old bugger, eh?!
Sadly, about 3 months ago, he was the lucky escaper of a failed rustling attempt. By that I mean that some rustlers were stealing some of our cattle (not an uncommon occurance, although VERY annoying!) and we suspect that he, as always, simply didnt want to be there anymore, so therefore...he wasnt. The rustlers then sic-ed their dogs onto him and he is now missing the beautiful, full tuft at the end of his tail. This is something that never happens with dingos - it was a deliberate action by trained dogs. It makes me so sad and frustrated, because he's a lovely old boy, and he never once tried to hurt any of us (we could walk right past him - within metres, and he still wouldnt charge or growl or anything!) and it is an incredibly painful and cruel way to treat an animal that DIDNT EVEN BELONG TO THEM!! GRRRR!!
Anyway, last week we managed to yard him again (and we thought we wouldnt see him inside the new yards for another 10 years!!) so we shipped him off to the sales. He has had an incedibly long, and successful breeding session, but it was time. Usually we only keep our main breeding bulls for a few seasons - maybe 3 at the most - then we sell them to bring in new genetics. Selling Old Grey Bull makes way for Little Grey Bull, who is increasingly becoming a quality bull. Clearly he's not terribly clever, as his tag states he is 123 (simple things for simple minds LOL) but he has a beautiful temperment and gorgeous coloring, and HE doesnt mind going in the yards! :)
I dont have a photo of Little Grey Bull on file, but I'll take one next time he's near the house.
Meanwhile, here's another one of Old Grey Bull:
LOL! I just finally got the joke about your Dad, (I read this the other day, but I didn't 'click' then), and it has really hit my funny bone, so I am sitting her chuckling away. Good that nobody else is home!
ReplyDeleteThat's horrible about the way he was treated! I agree with you on the GRRRRR!
I just blew up the photo to have a good look, and he does look good, doesn't he? I suppose you are going to miss him. I'll look forward to seeing the photo of Little Grey Bull. Perhaps we can come out and see him sometime, and you could introduce us.
It sure looks pretty where you are..
xoxo