Saturday, July 9, 2011

Dinner with friends...

Sadly, it didnt occur to me to take photos, so instead I will just embellish with words :)

Last night we went for dinner at Andrea and Ryan's place. This is the first time we've been invited over for a dinner party, and it was really special. Usually we all just go to Sizzlers (because we all love Cheesy Toast!), but this time Andrea wanted to do something special for us - and we are so glad she did!!

We arrived right on time at 6:00pm and the smells wafting from their kitchen did wonderful things to my senses :) Just as we were about to sit down, it occured to me to ask: "What are we having tonight?"

Andrea replied (in her wonderfully happy, soft voice): "Chicken Curry"

...and my world stopped!

We cant stand curry!!

"Wonderful" I enthusiastically replied.

So we sat down and I was considering how to discreetly dispose of my meal without actually putting it in my mouth, when she let out a disappointed huff. Turns out maybe she should have put on the slow cooker a little earlier than what she actually did because the vegetables were a bit on the raw side! LOL! And she was trying so hard to make us happy! :)

I pointed out that we could just think of it as a new-age kind of dip. You always have raw vegetables with dip...Ryan burst out laughing, stating: "You dont have potatos with dip!! BAHAHAHA!"

There was little I could do at this point to help Andrea feel better about her meal, so we quickly changed the subject...or at least tried to!

When she was serving it up, she kept saying: "Just push whatever isnt cooked to the side."

Ryan came back with: "Yeah, and then the whole meal will be on one side of the plate! LOL!"

BAHAHAHA!! Such a great night!!

After Ryan had blessed the food, I decided to carefully poke the first bit of potato with my fork. I thought if I did it gently, no one else would notice if it was rock hard. My goal was not to push my fork the whole way through, but rather to lightly impale it with the very tips of the prongs.

TINK! went the fork as the potato skittered away from my fork.

TINK!! the fork was even louder this time! There was no disguising it as the whole table rang out with laughter!! :) LOL!

Andrea was insisting that we didnt have to eat it, that she had also (successfully) cooked bread rolls and there was nothing wrong with the rice - or she could go up to the local IGA and buy something else, but I was adamant that we would be eating this wonderful meal that she had gone to such trouble to prepare!

I then scooped said potato up on my fork and determinedly ate it...it was...how do you say..."Crunchy!" :)

After that the dinner was much nicer - I really think that was the only hard piece of potato I got, and the sweet potato and carrots were nicely cooked :) Andrea assured me that the chicken was at least cooked, as she had pre-cooked it prior to putting it in the slow cooker :) LOL!

The first few bites were quite 'curried' but after that the spice was more muted and very enjoyable! Believe it or not, I REALLY liked this dish (even with crunchy potatos!!) I was sure that I'd hate it, but Im glad that I initially forced myself to eat it as I definately reaped the benefits :)

For dessert Andrea supplied us with Almond Magnums!!! <3 it!!

In between courses we played a few rounds of Rummykub. Husband won both times! (with my help on the second game! :)

Years and years ago, Mum and Dad would take all us kids over to friends houses and we'd have dinner and they'd talk into the early hours (and I'd be tired and cranky and just wanted to go home) and I could never understand what it was, exactly, that they needed so many hours to talk about with each other...but now I do! :) We honestly could have stayed there for many more hours (they have great bathroom stories!!) but sadly had a long drive home, so we didnt stay too late.

After a long goodbye, we departed out into the freezing cold and scurried out to our car. Me saying the whole time: "Hurry up and get that heater on!!" Sadly we only got a few kms down the road before we discovered we had a flat tyre :( Anddddddd, Husband didnt have the jack on board! Its in the laundry hoping someone will fix it! (Because it's doing everyone a lot of good in there!!)

So we had to wait an hour for RACQ...but it was nice because we were able to reflect back on what a wonderful night we'd had, and how blessed we are to count such beautiful people as our friends. :)

Im so glad that Andrea and Ryan we able to (unknowingly) broaden our horizons with regards to food, because I REALLY liked it, and may even ask her for the receipe... :)

Thanks guys!!

4 comments:

  1. Courtesy of Jessima:
    Hey Bec! Sounds like you guys had a great time :) Andrea and Ryan are such sweeties! Sorry to hear about your flat tyre, but at least you had to endure it with good company! Hope the rest of your weekend is just as good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely night! And 'hahaha' about the potatoes. Dinner parties are fun! I used to think the same thing about 'what is there to talk about all night?' but I totally get it now too :P It's just fun.
    When we moved in we had several invites to dinner at people's places and it was lovely. We've also had people over at our place.
    Glad to hear you had such a great night! (minus the tyre of course :P)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Bec :) It sounds like you had a very fun night, and you write very well and entertainingly! I am glad that you have broadened your gastronomical horizons :) Will you try others curries now?
    Sorry to hear about your flat tyre :(
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an AWESOME night! And the best memories come with failing cooking stories (I've had to tell myself that many times in the past... lol!). I feel like some chicken curry and vegetables right about now, actually... :)

    xo Tammy

    ReplyDelete