I love going to conference!! I love being surrounded by like-minded, supportive people while I listen to the inspired talks by our church leaders. :)
Im not sure if Im supposed to or not, but I definately have my 'favourite' speakers.
They include (obviously) Our Prophet: President Thomas S. Monson, as well as the 1st and 2nd councillors: Elder Henry B. Eyring and Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf, but also there are two other church leaders that I LOVE hearing from. They are Elder Richard G. Scott and Elder Jeffery R. Holland.
Sadly, we missed Saturday's sessions (both of them!) due to weather concerns. The entire road to our place, not just the 'home' road, was essentially un-trafficable due to recent roadworks and being inundated with rain! This was particularly disappointing as we were both really looking forward to listening in. We make a concerted effort to participate in Saturday sessions...Im really not sure why most members choose not to attend...we are listening to our inspired church leaders speaking directly to us...sometimes people so things that I just dont understand...
Anyway, as we'd had very little rain on Saturday, we decided to make a break for it on Sunday and try to make it to town...and we did!! :) And I am SO glad we went!!
Although all of the talks were quite good, my favourite (or at least, the one that 'spoke' to me the most) was by Elder Richard G. Scott. Clearly this man (who's been widowed for some time) really misses his wife. He told the most touching story about his life with her and how much he cherished her and cant wait to be with her again on the other side of the veil. I'll admit, I certainly got a little teary. All I can say is that after I've journeyed beyond the veil, MY husband had better pine for ME the way that Elder Scott is obviously pining for his wife! I thought it was a wonderful talk, and some of the things he said really 'spoke' to me about things in our lives we can change (for the better). I have to say, I really felt the spirit during this talk, and I hope I can remember all the things I learned so that I can apply them in our lives together :)
I know! I loved those same talks too. I also really loved Elder Johnson's talk - I think that was my favourite :)
ReplyDeletexo Tammy
A wonderful post, Bec! I Loved General Conference just gone - I think I love them more every year. I feel the same way about the speakers you mentioned, and there were so many other good speakers too! I really hope you get to hear and see the Saturday talks - they were just outstanding. I gained so much too - I am just praying that I will be able to remember them, plus the feelings I had at the time, and the commitments I wanted to keep! I really enjoyed your post, thank you :)
ReplyDeletexoxo