Sunday, July 15, 2012

An open heart with Music...

There are certain songs that I really, really like.

A few years ago (actually, I think it was in the first year of my apprenticeship) Dad and I did ongoing work on a house, for about 2 weeks. The new owners of the house were Germans and incredibly nice...so much so, that even after we accidentally smashed one of their garden statues, the Husband burn us a copy of his Lobo CD - The Greatest Hits.

We have listened to the same CD almost every day, ever since that day :)

Occasionally we mix it up and listen to Enya or Cat Stevens or even Helmut Lottie, but mostly, we just listen to Lobo. I hasten to add that Dad will not permit us to listen to music AT ALL while we are at work. We really only listen to it on the drive home from work.

My favourite song on this CD is about rings. Basically its a story about how he had an arguement with his girlfriend, they didnt talk for a while, then they got back together and got married. Its such a pretty song, and the music that goes along with it lifts my heart :)

On a different note - i.e. when Im not with Dad - I love listening to Pink.
I really like her song 'Ave Mary A' and particularly her song 'Sober'. It resonates with me.

Before the Gospel found me, I was like the girl in this song - I was having fun, living life to the max, and even though I realised that something needed to change...I also felt 'how do I feel this good sober?'

Thank goodness I managed to get past that small-minded way of thinking! :) Anyway, I enjoy listening to her songs as I can identify with them. Although I dont enjoy that she swears in almost every song, Husband has been kind enough to find me the 'clean' version of nearly every song :)

Another clear favourite is LIVE (that's a band) and I have been so fortunate to attend 2 of their concerts! :) WOOH!

And another would be Jordan Sparks :)

Although, to be honest, Im a fan of most music: rock, pop, easy listening, church, *some* hard rock, and *some* opera, and even some of the in-between types :)

My most favourite easy listening/church singer is Hillary Weeks, and her music really helped me get through the weeks following our loss of Grandad Bull and Molly (and to a lesser extent, even Annie *wink*)

Music inspires me, saddens me, uplifts me and calms me :) Although I posses not an ounce of musical ability (either singing or playing an instrument) I can definately appreciate others who have, or who are developing the ability, to sing or play an instrument. I sit very firmly in the 'music appreciators' camp :)

Husband is a HUGE fan of Jon Schmidt, and although I really like his music too...Husband will play his CDs until Im ready to tear my hair out!! His CDs are lovely to listen to once a month, nice to listen to twice a month, but hearing them every week gives me a headache!

Dang it! Again, I've stopped for dinner and totally forgotten where I was going with this post... anyway, you get the drift.

2 comments:

  1. Hillary Weeks would also be my favourite church singer as well - she seems to be able to talk about real life events/situations - she sometimes makes an appearance in my car during the week, she's not just a sunday one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that really takes me back.. I love Lobo, though it was some of his other songs that I really knew well. Lots and lots of memories! Back in those teenage days when every song had some special meaning to me..

    (I've listened to the same church tape in my car every Sunday for about the last 7 years!)

    I'm not as familiar with all of the other artists you've mentioned - but I agree with you about the power of music - and about being a 'music appreciator'.. As a musician, I also make a really great audience :)

    Thank you for the post, Bec! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete