*tired sigh*
Today we attended a job (again) that we've been to THREE times already...
Its an insurance job, and the customers are a definate pain in the tush!
We work directly for the loss adjuster, who in turn works for the insurance mob. We have quite a good relationship with the loss adjuster (Chris) which has resulted in him asking us (the last two times) if we would again make the journey all the way up to Gootchie (halfway between Gympie and Maryborough) to deal with the electric fence. He knows that we are electricians and that we are *quite simply* too highly qualified for fencing, however he found it more ideal for him, to pay us electricians wages to work on the fence, rather than him travelling all the way up from Brisbane and dealing with it himself. As a result, we have made two trips up to Gootchie (after the actual electrical work had been completed), once to ensure that the electric fence was working (there was a fault on the fenceline itself) and the second time was to 'fix' the fence.
So, today we got up bright and early (and it was especially cold today) and went to Gootchie. We then spent a further 3 hours working on the fence (a horse paddock) and replaced almost all of the insulators (as pieces of garden hose were previously serving this purpose, Pfft! Dodgy!) and re-tensioned the entire length of it.
To make matters worse, within the first 5 minutes of being there, I bent over to crawl through the fence, and split the bum out of my pants! YUP, you can see that it was a sucky day already! And I mean, REALLY split my pants!! I tore them from the fork all the way up to within 2 inches of the back waistband...so I spent the next 4+ hours (including travel back to civilization) with my butt hangin out the back of my shorts...NOT COOL! *thank goodness I was wearing undies, is all I can say!*
On top of that, the silly tosser who lives there would not speak to me at all, and would only address Dad (as 'Wayne' for most of the time we were there, or 'Brother') And this was NOT due to my backside hanging out of my daks - he didnt speak to me the other two times we were there either!
Oh, but it doesnt end there!! Oh, no!! As well as all the drama of the morning, the fence (on three sides of the horse paddock) spanned a swamp. Yes, a swamp!! The wonderful by-product of THAT was that my shoes got soaked, and I spent the rest of the day with wet socks, wet shoes, and white/pruney toes...YUCK!!
So, we f-i-n-a-l-l-y finished there, headed back into Gymp-town, and Dad starts telling me about all the running around we need to get done, and asks me where we should start...and I INSIST that we got to the Coles complex first so that I can go to Target and get new shorts...had he forgotten?? :)
He pulls up at Coles, and I make a bee-line for Target and manage to run into not one, but TWO people from Church *embarrassing*
I pick up a new pair of pants (sadly without pockets) and while Im busily trying to transfer all my pocket-crap into my single breast pocket (and pay for the new shorts Im currently wearing) the check-out dude wants to quiz me on getting an electrical apprenticeship...Dude! Cant you see we have an emergency here??
Anyway, after several 'small-ish' jobs around Gympie, we get a call out to Tin Can Bay...GREAT! *sarcasm*
Personally, I dont know why anyone willingly chooses to live there. The mosquitoes and sandflies are enough to drive one mad, let alone the 'stickyness' of the air so close to the mangroves. Again, YUCK!
In the end, we did a 13.5 hour day and Im stuffed! So Im going to go have some dessert (the Boaden's strawberries, cream and mini merengues) and go to bed.
Bring on tomorrow!
I love reading your story posts, Bec :) They are always interesting - and I enjoy learning about your days :)
ReplyDeleteDoes it seem at all dangerous to have an electric fence where you are standing in swamp water? Or doesn't it matter... perhaps because the wires hopefully never touch the ground?
I am impressed that you managed this post after such a long and tiring day!
I love that you got to have some strawberries, cream and meringue! If that's not a perfect way to bring a sweet ending to a difficult day, I don't know what is! I'm guessing maybe a hot shower/bath too? And bed sounds perfect! (A bit tired myself, but with much less reason.. :) I hope you have sweet dreams and an easier day tomorrow :)
xoxo
Sounds like a sucky day!! :S
ReplyDeleteI have a confession though - I most probably would have laughed quite unashamedly at your bum bum hanging out of you pants :D
In fact, I think I feel like having giggle about it now :)