Here she is with her mum, Harkin, and her uncle, Spirit.

After her delightful arrival yesterday, I went in search of photographs - yes the 'old' kind, that arent on disc, chip, memory stick, Lacey, computer or phone camera. I was hoping to find photographs of Harkin, Spirit and Lady from when they were all much younger...and what wonderful suprises I found!
*I apologise for the poor quality of the 'photos' I took with my phone camera - I was too lazy to scan them into the computer properly :D *
This photo was taken approximately 23.5 years ago - when we first moved to the farm :)
This is me on 'Flash':
Gosh, Im cute!!Yep, we spent most of our time like this:

LOOK at all that grass!! Clearly this was before cattle!
Fast forward to 12 years ago. Here is Lady with her brand new filly foal, Harkin:

Lady was the first horse I ever actually 'bought' for myself. I bought her in Year 7 along with another young mare called Smarty. Sadly, Smarty broke her leg before I was ever able to break her in, and had to be put down :( Lady was a wonderful companion and we had many adventures together, both on the farm and exploring the forestry, as well as old Jock William's property - where we gathered bush lemons and wild rasperries :) *happy sigh*
Here is Lady with Spirit and Shiekh:

This was taken at the same time as the above photo, so Spirit was almost two years old. Shiekh was a HUGE, beautiful Arab - although I really dont like Arabs at all, he was so gentle and kind, I found myself liking him more and more. I bought him for only $150, and I remember the hassle we had getting him on the float to come home...it. took. HOURS! He was very skittish. But we got him there in the end, and I really adored him :) About a year after this photo, I had the time to break him in (finally), however, I rushed the job, and chose to attempt to get on his back on a really windy day (a BIG no-no). This resulted in him freaking out, bucking, kicking me in the upper thigh, and knocking me out against one of the rails in the yards. Suffice it to say, it was a B-A-D idea to rush him! He corked one of my thigh muscles so bad, I still have a knot in it today!
In my search for photos, I also found several of an old horse named Maggie-Jo who was a (blockhead) Standardbred. The breed used for Trotters. She was a dear old thing but passed away when I was in Victoria, having interviews for Colleges. Luckily my brother was home, caring for my horses, and was on hand to put her down when she got stuck in a gully during the wet season :( I havent uploaded a photo of her as the computer is now playing up *typical*
Anyway, after a brief search, I cant find ANY 'old' photographs of Spirit as a foal, but he looked almost identical to Harkin and the new filly...I will search for some more tomorrow :)
*happy sigh* she is SO pretty!!
LOVE the photo of you lying down on Flash. Lol!
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, a very cute kid... :)
xo Tammy
Wonderful old photos, Bec! You were a little cutie :) It sounds like you had some very happy times growing up. You must have missed it a lot when you were away from home.
ReplyDelete(Could Spirit be the foal's father? Sorry if this is a silly question.. )
xoxo