Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Because we're cannoneers!

The day before my Birthday, Dad and I were *kind of* putting off doing jobs that Mum wanted us to do, and were finding more 'fun' jobs to do *grins*.

We decided that we should 'try out' an old replica cannon Mum's Uncle had given us a while back...I think this cannon was made in the 60s/70s, but the original cannon it was duplicated from originated from back in the early 1800s (but Im not certain of that - I really should ask Dad again!!) Our range is rated at 8000 pounds which makes it the highest rated range in Queensland - and you can legally shoot cannons on our range!! AWESOME!! :D

Here is Dad loading the cannon: Sadly, this photo isnt loading so I will post it again at a later date :(

This is where we decided to situate the cannon on the range (after careful consideration of trajectory, wind speed etc):



Then we decided we should block up behind it so that it doesnt go cruising backwards:



Dad 'carefully' lighting the black powder (with a stick with a piece of lit mosquito coil attached by some electrical tape - that tape is good for ANYTHING!):



And then... BANG!!!! It clearly scared us both!! Dad leapt backwards and I didnt take a very clear shot due to my eardrums almost bleeding - it was very loud!!!!:



He he! Check out the grin on Dad's face:



For days afterwards Dad's catchphrase was "Because we are Cannoneers!!" As in, "We can do anything because we have successfully shot off an incredibly old cannon - try and STOP US world!!!" :)

2 comments:

  1. Bec, this is hilarious! You are such kids :)

    I love the cannon, by the way :) I'm only surprised that you hadn't done it earlier!
    (Did it hit anything?)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a GREAT time *Grins*

    The only reason why we hadnt done it earlier is because we didnt HAVE a cannon, but now that we do... :D

    I have NO idea if we hit anything (Michael just made the comment that the shot landed in the neighbours' yard... that's 5kms away in that direction!) The first shot I was only taking photos, but the next shot I was specifically ignoring Dad and looking down the range to see where it landed, but between the smoke and the incredibly loud noise, I was distracted so didnt see where it ended up...

    ...the next one we're going to paint fluro pink so that we can see where it lands :) (seriously)

    ReplyDelete