Saturday, January 16, 2010

Our New Chook Pen!

Finally we have a new chook pen!!! Well, we have the posts in the ground and the area levelled off!
In addition to this, we have also cleared and levelled the area for our new gazebo, AND finally stood the strainer posts for our house yard!! YAY!! I cant begin to tell you how happy I am that all the things we've had planned for months are finally coming to fruition! :)
And to make things even better, Scotty will be here on Thursday to box up, and Friday he'll pour the concrete for our chook pen! So exciting!!!

3 comments:

  1. Any chance of some pictures Bec? Michael has tried to draw it, but...
    How many chickens will you get?
    Please forgive my ignorance, but I thought chickens had a dirt floor in their pen, to scratch around in?
    I'm glad it's all happening :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they're not escaping chickens - lol. It would be cool to have fresh eggs each day :) If it was me, I wouldn't get a rooster. I wouldn't want a dawn alarm clock - lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Funny Jessima :) Im usually awake at dawn anyway regardless, and mum's rooster is clearly heard from our place anyway (and that's usually quite a bit after im awake!) Im trying to talk Michael into getting us a house cow, so we can have fresh, creamy milk each day too...but im not having a lot of success with that...YET!!
    Dunno on how many chooks yet - i'd like to have about 8-10 black chooks (Australorps) and a couple of blue- or gold- or silver-laced Wyandottes, and recently Ive discovered Plymouth Rock chooks - very pretty indeed!!
    We have to cement their enclosure to reduce the chance of disease, bacteria, sickness of my lovely new chookies etc. Because they walk over their eggs after they've been out in the pen, they then make the eggs dirty (and as eggs are pourous, i'd really like to reduce the chance of one of us catching any diseases). Scotty's coming at 6am tomorrow, and the cement truck is coming at 6:30 so its going to be an early start for us!

    ReplyDelete