Saturday, January 23, 2010

Japanese Bantams

Nearly every day for the last 2 weeks I've had reason to go into the local feed barn. They usually have an assortment of red chooks and white and sometimes even black chickens (only good for me if i already HAD a chook that was laying and willing to take in unwanted extra mouths!). However, on Monday week ago, unsuspecting little me went in to discover that they also had some Japanese Bantams for sale - for those of you unassociated with the chook world, these are extreemely rare to obtain, unless you pay a fortune for the fertilised eggs and hatch them yourself in an incubator. Although they were ridiculously expensively priced, I felt these were good value for money considering the rarity of them and their ability to be incredibly great mothers. So I do the logical thing and go home and tell mum all about them. She says - are you nuts?we arent paying that much for some chooks!, so i say - but they're really rare and pretty and im sure we need them!. This goes on every day for the following 2 weeks, meanwhile, Im in there visiting them every chance I get (under the pretext of being there for a legitimate reason). Finally, on Thursday, I had mum with me and we decided (this was victory time for me) that if the chooks were still there then we were meant to have them (when I'd checked the day before the price had fallen - they were now half-price!) and lo-and-behold.....(drum roll....)......
They were sold! :(
Seriously not cool!
I'd really become attached to these little things and during Day 4 of my association with them, one of them had laid an egg for me to find...surely this was a sign?!
Anyway, seriously disappointed!
The fact that the chook pen is not yet complete is entirely irrelevant - we had small cages they could have lived in quite comfortably until this occured. So, like I said, seriously disappointed!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Bec!! I was right with you, all excited about the Japanese Bantams. I knew you were going to get them, and of course you were, because they were so pretty, and meant for you! I was so disappointed that you missed out. I am seriously disappointed!
    Who stole your chickens?
    Humph!
    ps Thank you for explaining about the cement floor. I haven't known much about chickens, I realize. (I did pluck about a dozen many years ago, but I suppose live chicken may be more high-maintenance...?)
    :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - not really high-maintenance, but definately more than dead ones!:)
    My chooks were stolen by a stupid Petting Zoo...GRRRRRR! And it just makes me cranky-er to know that they are going to be really well looked after there, and really happy there!Dang it! They were meant to be mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha!
    Darn that dastardly petting zoo!

    xo

    ReplyDelete