Yeah, ok, I realise this is now considered old news (as it happened last Thursday) but it is still weighing on my mind just a bit...
For those of you who do not know...we are not allowed to work on live power - ever! (With the exception of hospitals etc, in which case more lives are endangered more by you turning off the power, than by you leaving it on i.e.its just you who may die) However, as we do not ever work in hospitals, we are not ever allowed to work live (weeeell, we do sometimes, but when we do, there is clear communication between my Dad and I that this is the case, thereby avoiding all prospective harm that my befall either one of us) At least, that was the plan!
We were at a neighbour's house finishing off some little jobs that always seem to crop up after a renovation i.e. 'while you're here, could you just have a look at...?' or 'hey, i forgot to tell you about ..., do you think you could fix it too while you're here?' This time it was a light in the laundry...the lady of the house didnt like the look of the old fluro, so we were asked to replace it with another fluro (that in my opinion looked very similar to the old one). While I was trying desperately to work out how to remove the diffuser on the new fluro (yeah, I know, 3rd year and still working out how to pull apart a fluro, but I tell you they are all different and super tricky!).
Meanwhile, Dad was disconnecting the old fitting and pulling it down (unscrewing it from the ceiling), he had a little trouble with that, so I graciously offered my expertise in holding the old fitting for him whilst he struggled on with the dodgy old srews that were in it. Finally it came down and I grabbed the cables hanging down out of the ceiling and pulled them out of the fitting, then, when Dad took the old fitting from me (as it was filled with lots of dead, disgusting bugs, and Dad was tired of listening to my high pitched protests regarding the closeness of said bugs to my body) I then retrieved the new fluro and just as I was about to grab the cable to push it through the opening into the new fitting, I felt compelled by the Spirit to double check the circuit was dead...May I add at this point that Dad had made absolutely no mention of the circuit being live! So I grabbed my D-Square Tester and checked it, and sure enough it was live!! How had this happened?? Dad and I have a clear and consise communication method when it comes to these things (now that Im thinking about it...maybe he was trying to make a grab at my life insurance policy??a thought to think about.) May i also add that to push the cables through the very tiny opening, it is usual practice to pinch the ends (yes, the bighty bit of copper) with your fingers, then slide them through the opening.
Looking back through my blog, it occurs to me that this seems like a very funny story, and that I havent emphasised anywhere near enough how dangerous this was, or the profound fright it gave me. This was seriously the closest I've ever come to being zapped!
Fortunately enough though, the day before Dad and I had up-graded their switch-board to include RCDs on the power and light circuits, so even if I had've touched the bighty ends accidentally, the chances are that the RCD would have tripped thereby saving me and allowing me to continue to live out my days peacefully and (hopefully blissfully) unawares of the closeness of my brush with a painful end.
My day ended with a severe reprimand to my Dad (ok, not really, but I did mention that he probably should have told me about it), oh, and he let us knock off work before dark as a treat :)
That's all I've got...oh, no, wait...I have news! Today's news, in fact! Up-to-date and fascinating news! Our Painter came today and painted all of our doors, and the wall in the laundry, and Im not sure what else because I havent seen it just yet as I've only just gotten home from work, but hopefully, lots of other wonderful things too! :) night!
I actually think my blog is a little retarded as I certainly did not post that at 2:07AM, try 8:39PM you silly thing!
ReplyDeleteIs the RCD the safety thing that shuts down the electricity before there is the chance of you getting a shock? 'The chances are', that it would have tripped?!!? I thought when you had them installed that you were completely safe? Should I be worried now??! :)
ReplyDeleteThe way you were writing it might have been a bit humourous, but the thought of what might have happened is very scary! I'm glad you checked! Makes you think of the prayers we say asking for safety during the day...
Is it your cottage that has been painted?
xo
Yeah, im slack - sorry i took so long replying - too busy with work i think :)
ReplyDeleteRCDs are the safety switch that is supposed to shut off electricity to that circuit within 30milliseconds, and that may only happen if you've done a Maximum Demand Calculation (yes, there is that dreaded word again) for that circuit. And personally, i wouldn't like to trust my life to them regardless :)
Yes, to the cottage being painted. Terry is due out again sometime this week to paint all of our window sills (and anything else i can talk him into) ;) And as of 2:30pm today, all the negotiations were complete regarding the building of our new chook pen. This is Michael's project, however he was a little slow starting, so it took my builder boss to light a fire under him and now we are almost guaranteed to have a chook pen complete by next weekend (provided it doesnt rain anymore):)
BEC