Tuesday, October 30, 2012

My hero...

Some days, more than others, I find that I really, really appreciate my Dad. Today was a day that he proved his status of 'My Hero' without a doubt!

On our last job of the day (at 6:15-ish) we rocked up to a job where the fellow, Scott, said he was having difficulty with his Eco System (code for: septic!)

We duly went inside and investigated the wiring at the switchboard, and at the indicator light and then trudged outside to the septic and had a sticky beak behind the powerpoint. (oddly the previous electrician had not put a connector on the Earth...) but the actual problem was that the silly twit had no idea how to set a float switch...and on this particular septic there were two! BOTH were set incorrectly which resulted in the pump (once it kicked in) continued to pump, even when the tank was completely empty - it is VERY bad for a pump to run dry! Usually it will burn out and you either have to get it re-wound (expensive) or toss it and buy a new one (equally expensive!)

The only problem with a float switch is that you have to get in there with it, to re-set it! ICK!!!!!
The additional problem was that the opening for these particular septics are quite small...as in tiny!!

This would usually be my job - THANK GOODNESS FOR BEING PREGNANT!!! :D

Dad made a few jokes about how I'd have to go down because the opening was too small for him, and Scott thought it should be my job as the apprentice (fool!), but thankfully Dad was only joking (I think!) and soon made the decent himself.

...exactly HOW he managed to squeeze through that tiny opening, and past the pump pipes (which also served to decrease the opening size) is completely beyond me, but I am SO grateful he did!!!!!

As he cut off the existing cable ties and passed them to me, and I reached out (thoughtlessly) with my bare hand...ICK!!!!!

After gathering several of them, and feeling decidedly ill, I hurried to the truck under the pretense of getting a plastic bag to put them in...and promptly dry-heaved for ages! YUCK!

Before we'd even finished testing the unit, I'd already washed my hands several times with water from the truck. Then we went to the nearest toilets so I could wash my hands THREE times!!! Im still grossed out by it! But my Dad is definately my hero!! :)

Another yucky occurrance from today involved me and a stove. As I pulled the back panel off the stove to disconnect it, I was the lucky discoverer of not one, or two, but FOUR dead mice that had been fried by the terminals!! *dry-heaving again* And two of them had their little paws around the cables and wouldnt let go! It took a great deal of tickling with my screwdriver to get them to let go. Then, when we moved the stove away from its original spot, two additional dead mice fell out of it! Gross!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Bec! You are a bit of a hero yourself! Yours is definitely not a job for the faint-hearted! I feel for you having to dry-heave like that :( I can certainly see how your Dad is your hero! :)

    How many weeks now? Are you getting the weekly up-dates on the baby? Are you in maternity clothes yet? :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 15 weeks now, and Bugalugs is the size of an apple!
      I dont have a lot of maternity clothes yet, and my work uniform *just* fits, but Im finding it really hard to find length-appropriate shorts...must keep searching! I find that most of my *skinny* clothes are uncomfortable now...so when Im at home I slouch around in Husband's clothes :D (dont tell him that!) :)

      Delete
  2. Hahahaha, how absolutely disgusting!! Sucks to be pregnant and sick in that it's sooo not fun retching like that but at the same time YAY for being pregnant and not having to do the even grosser job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Amen to not having to get in the Eco tank...YUCK! It was great seeing you last night (and glimpses of Hallie LOL)

      Delete
  3. All respect to electricians. I am doing an assignment this very minute that only briefly touches on the electrical side of things and I will be honest I find it a challenging topic and subject. My subject is Sustainable design but it does go into power and electricity a little etc. I should have got some tutoring off you. Anyway Congrats guys on the baby. Cute dog as well. I am a dog person. Except that our neighbours posioned my pet dog as a child and the other dog was tied up over night and jumped the fence and hung itself. Sadly. Also my twins dog got run over. Someday I will get a little family dog for us though. Robbie/Uncle Robbie to the little one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Uncle Robbie - how come you're not doing your assignment? :) We missed you last night!
      Yep, electricity can definately be confusing, and the concepts (while not hard) can be very hard to get your head around! All the best for your assignment matey :)
      Cant wait to see what sort of puppy you'd get your little family! :)

      Delete