Thursday, October 25, 2012

New babies...

 
So, tonight was going to be the big night where I uploaded all my photos from the last 14 weeks (as I have been too horribly sick to manage it before now) however the internet/blog is not co-operating, and I only got one on here.
 
 
This is a photo of the latest little calf to be born into our herd. Not a great photo I know, but it was super-thirsty, and super-cute! The little one keeps hanging around our yard, trying to make friends with Emily and Patrick, but they arent too interested...Pepper, however, is VERY interested in making friends with the baby, but it keeps getting scared and runs off!
 
 
 
 
This afternoon, after trudging back up the hill from Mum and Dad's with Pep and Sarah, it was right on dusk, and I kept thinking I could see a calf in the shrubbery up the hill from the top Deer Trap fence. But as it was so late and the light was so poor, I really couldnt make it out until it ran out of the lantana and joined its mummy. We have another new calf!! :) Sadly, due to the lighting, I wasnt able to take a photo of it, but its a little tan/brown baby :D
 
The most amazing thing about it, is that its mummy is was on the kill list due to a partial prolapse a few weeks ago. The only reason we havent knocked her yet (butchered her) was due to the extreme heat (which means the meat would have turned before we got it cold enough to freeze) and a lack of time (due to electrical/gun shop work being SO busy). We were planning on doing it this afternoon, but got delayed (again) and isnt it lucky we were!! :) Now we'll just have to keep a close eye on her to make sure the prolapse rights itself, otherwise we will still knock her and I'll have another baby calf to raise (YAY!!)
 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Bec! :) I've been looking out for your next post :)

    Does that mean (I'm guessing..) that you didn't know that the mummy was about to be a mummy? Can you always tell? I hope you don't have to 'knock' her after-all :)

    Congratulations on all the new babies! :) People talk about us not having seasons in Australia, but I suppose that Spring is always noticeable on a farm :)

    Hope you are feeling well :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad about the Mum.

    And the next baby to be born will be YOURS!!!!!!!
    :D :D :D :D :D
    xox

    ReplyDelete