Sunday, September 23, 2012

Well, today was a surprise!

After a very uneventful Sacrament Meeting (during which Im positive I dozed off, twice!), Eileen came over and begged me for a favour :)

Apparently the Sunshine Coast Stake Youth are having a conference at the end of this week, and none of the Young Women's Presidency are available to accompany them...it seems that none of the parents are availeable either...(?)

So, the favour was: Could I help out by being there (at the camp grounds) to greet the Gympie youth, and get them settled in on Thursday afternoon?

Sadly (at the time, I thought so...) I already knew I had the day off (as Dad is working with the excavator up at the range that day) so I was unaccountably free, so didnt have a legitamate excuse to say no. I hasten at this stage to add that I am not a part of young women's, never attended young women's, and quite dislike the attitudes of some of our local young women. So I really had no desire to go to this thing, but Eileen explained that there was no way that anyone else could go, so I said yes.

The above paragraph makes me sound very selfish, but these are my thoughts so I refuse to be chastened for it.

Anyway, after Sunday School, I dropped by Young Women's class to show my face (in case any of them didnt know who 'Bec Munro' was.) I also dropped by Young Men's for the same reason. Then I was invited to attend the Young Women's class, and I had a great time! I even got a mini Snickers bar for my participation!! :) Totally made it worth missing Relief Society!! LOL :)

At the end of that, I asked Eileen if she'd found someone to watch over them on the Friday (as she wouldnt be able to be there until after work, so around 6:30pm) and she said that she couldnt find anyone, and that one of the other Ward's leaders might have to look after our kiddies too...

So, I sucked it up, and volunteered to stay for Friday *pats myself on the back* until Eileen can get there :) Im not really sure what I've let myself in for here, but I am hopeful that we will all have a wonderful, spiritually-uplifting time, and that the snobby girls will actually turn out to be quite nice girls :)

This afternoon (after lunch and naps) I went down to ask Dad for the time off work - I went the long way about asking him, and I think he thought that I'd volunteered him for something, so when it turned out that I was just asking for Thursday afternoon/ Friday off, he was quite relieved and eagerly said yes! LOL :)

Also, on a different topic, Dad now has a cockatoo named Rocky. Rocky is a girl. Rocky is 30 years old, and I will write more about her in another post.

3 comments:

  1. Camp sounds like fun!
    (Sort of... totally depends on my mood at the time... lol!) Good on you for volunteering to help :)
    xo Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Dear Bec, I am often chastened by my thoughts! :) Haha, yes - definite pats on the back for you (of course, you were on a bit of a Snickers high by then... ) (This reminds me of the scripture that it is better to say 'no' (even in your heart perhaps), and then do, that to say 'yes' and not do.. (I'm wildly paraphrasing. I can't remember where it is offhand..) I hope you have a fabulous time on camp :) It seems to me like a good fit for you :) I hope it turns out that everyone is exceptionally nice and that you all have a fabulous time - and that you actually do get some sleep! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't know birds really lived to be 30 years old. Interesting... :)

    I'm sure you'll have fun Bec! YW camp was always fun. I've been a leader in YW several times (I never actually did go on the camps though - can't remember what the reasons for that were) and it's good.
    I know what you mean about some of the attitudes (I certainly had some of them!! :P) but I find when you get to know and are just there for the girls then their attitudes tend to melt away a bit. It's just a teenager thing, nothing personal :P
    Good on you for volunteering! :) xo

    ReplyDelete