Thursday, November 22, 2012

New calf?


I'll add more to this story tomorrow...suffice it to say that this may be my new little calf! :) ...if he survives the night :) ...OK. He lived through the night and I have my fingers crossed he's still with us when I get home tonight :) So! The background story... Yesterday, Dad and I were working from home and had some work to do over in the back blocks of our property. We *finally* got home around 12-ish (good timing as it was lunchtime!!) As I walked back up to our house I noticed that the eldest of the most recent crop of calves was lying down, and his mummy was calling out to him from some distance away. This wouldnt have been overly concerning in itself, except the other calves from the same crop were tearing around the paddock like a bunch of hooligans, and it was odd that this little fellow wasnt with them. Sadly, my stupid pregnant brain didnt connect the dots and I went home for lunch, then back to work (changing the oil on all the pumps and generators on the property...yucky!) When I got home around 5:30-ish (YAY for early knock off times!!) I watched Dad play with Rocky for a bit, then picked up Pepper and Sarah and went home. Half-way there the mummy cow was bellowing again, so I looked up the deer trap paddock to see that the little fella was trying *unsuccessfully* to stand up. Dang! I called out to Mum and let her know what I was up to, and she kindly called the puppies to her :) Then I hiked All. The. Way. up to the top of the deer trap to where the calf was lying. After assessing it, I called back down to Mum (who translated for Dad as one of his hearing aids isnt working) and he drove the truck up to where I was. We found 5 or 6 ticks on its neck which Dad quickly pulled off, but sadly at least one of them was a paralysis tick :( Due to the coming storm it had been exceptionally hot that day, and the calf's nose was very dry...poor little bugger was very dehydrated :( I suggested to Dad that I take him home and give him a bottle of water (as I dont have any calf milk). I'd like to point out that I have what Michael calls 'Gilbert Syndrome' whereby I have an overwhelming urge to 'save' anything that I perceive needs saving. (Gilbert was a Dalmation who's owners went overseas and left him with the wife's sister, who didnt want him...so sad!) ...so sorry, Im too tired to complete this post so will do it tomorrow! :)

3 comments:

  1. So cute!!

    (So?! did it survive?!)

    xo Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, he's SO adorable!!
    Sad, why wouldn't he survive the night? How common is it that
    new calves die?? :(
    xo

    ReplyDelete