Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Motors and Controls

Finally I've reached 3B - which is in itself a huge achievement! For this block (only 3 weeks long) we are studying two subjects - A.C. Motors and Electronic Power and Control 1.

I distinctly recall seeing a friend of mine the last time I was here - who was doing 3B at the time - and he quite specifically said that motors weren't that hard...that they weren't as hard as doing Maximum Demand.....

...he was lying.

Admittedly, the first day would have been a LOT easier if I hadn't have played card games during the 2 years I studied chemistry in high school, but even the more mature students were struggling - and they HAD been paying attention!
Yeah, I know, 'What does chemistry have to do with power control?' Surprisingly, a lot!

Anyway, Im definately NOT getting enough sleep and the days are getting really tricky...then there's the constant traffic jam, and basically it all adds up to me not feeling very positive about this whole block. Some of my friends have already booked in for their capstone, so they know when they're gonna walk the green mile. I think Im ok with not knowing...it takes the pressure off I think.
Also I miss Molly - Im quite sure she doesnt miss us all that much cos Grandma will be feeding her all the things she's not supposed to, so that means Molly will have to go on a diet when I get home...AGAIN!:)
That's all I've got, gonna go find a place to nap before I have to go back to class.

6 comments:

  1. I hated Chemistry. Hmm, maybe hate is the wrong word - dispised?? LOL Anyway, good thing to know when this subject is all over, chances no one in the real world will ever ask you anything related to this :)

    Good luck with your exam next week. I'm sure you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jessima :),
    Sadly though, I have 2 exams tomorrow, 2 the Friday after and 1 HUGE one on the following Friday!I cant wait for this block to be over!!!!!
    Im really hoping no-one will ever ask me anything about this subject ever again...but it really depends on which field of electrical I land in, which will determine how much (if any) of this stuff I'll ever use. Just the thought of it drives me to stay out of certain fields where I know they use this stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you'd better learn everything you can about motors and chemistry Bec - chances are that I'll probably ask you a question about it at some point... lol!

    Good luck! At least the nice thing about study is that each block always comes to an end... eventually!

    xo Tammy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tammy :) as always super helpful LOL but if you ask me about chemistry I may just ignore you ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we should go with your first line - just getting to 3B is a huge achievement! :) And since you've made it this far, you know you can get the rest of the way - just not always with a lot of sleep, I suppose :) But well done for getting there!
    What are the capstone and the green mile? Your last blocks? Or graduation?

    Hope this week is less pressured for you :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. yep, so far this week is heaps less pressure for me cos I didnt go today...too sick. But husband is taking very good care of me so hopefully I'll be able to get back to stupid chemistry soon :)

    ReplyDelete