Saturday, February 13, 2010

Jinxed myself

Cast your mind back to Thursday morning when you first got up...what did you do?
I, for one, stumbled sleepily to the bathroom and passed by the fishtank...suddenly alert!

'Michael' I said, 'Are we supposed to be feeding Rachael's fish?'
(my sister recently moved into what I affectionately call my home away from home - when Im on block - but had to return unexpectedly to Gladstone, so she let us stay there still)

'Ummpht' was all the reply I received. Just kidding! In reality Michael came racing out of the bedroom with a look on his face that needed no interpretation...but for those of you who cant guess, he replied with 'I have no idea! Are you sure we're supposed to do it?' (Casting my eyes around I discovered that there was no-one else in the house, so my guess was, it was up to us)

'Are we also supposed to feed Flippin' Gary?' (Rachael's cat) 'She didnt tell me anything, maybe she asked Jim to do it.' With these words of comfort I reasured myself that we hadnt been starving the fish AND the cat for 4 days, and took myself off to college on a happy note. (At this point I'd like to add that in his defense, Michael quickly grabbed the fish food and fed them anyway...but the cat was undoubtably left to fend for itself)

Upon arriving at college, I ask my best (and therefore most reliable) mates what their take on the whole thing is...the responses varied, but essentially I received a 'YOU NEED TO FEED THE FISH...AND THE CAT!' reply.

Also, I remembered to send my sister a text message basically saying the same thing...eventually she replied with 'I think Jim was feeding Flippin Gary, and Im not sure if he was going to feed the fish or not.'

...comforting, right?

So at the end of a really long day (with muchness chemistry and right hand generator rules/left hand motor rules/ right hand solenoid rules) we come home and my wonderful husband cooks dinner for me. After dinner we decided to study together, but as my head was already full of aforementioned rules, I found myself wandering around aimlessly looking for something to give me a good excuse to not study.

...and I found it in the form of the fish tank. Staring intently at the little snails working their way around the glass, I suddenly realised one of the fish wasnt moving! With alarm, I shouted to husband to come and check it out. At this point I had a ligitimate reason for not studying! :)

Yep, I realise that you are all thinking 'But she lives on a farm, how can she not know if the fish is dead or not?'

See, the thing is, the fish was just bobbing away at the BOTTOM of the tank...not at the top!

Turns out maybe we should have fed the fish long before the 4 day mark, however it was a great source of amusement for my friends at college. Im sure they're still mocking me...

7 comments:

  1. Did the fish die? I hope it was just sleeping when it was bobbing away there :)

    Good story. I totally would have freaked out too. Hope all is well with the fish and cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, the chinese/japanese fighting fish died, but so far the goldfish and the angel fish are still with us...as is Flippin Gary, who Jim assures me he feeds :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bec, I haven't been able to use hotmail for some reason we haven't worked out yet - the screen just won't open on this computer, so I'm waiting for Ben to take a look at it. Meanwhile, I hope you got the message through Michael about last Friday night? Thank you so much for the invite though. Please let us know again.

    It is amazing how bad you can feel about a dead fish.. not so much bad that you will actually miss it perhaps, but more guilty that you don't feel more bad that you will actually miss it. Or is that just me!?
    We used to have fish. I took the best care of them that I could. One of them committed suicide though. There are whole weeks when I don't think about that anymore, so thank you for bringing it all back for me. Actually, I don't feel as bad about the suicide fish as I do about the ones that just died. (He made his choice.) Because the others must have been my fault. Even though I really tried. I read books and bought stuff to add to the water, and stood there and worried about them for days on end. I even fed them noni juice. (too long an explanation required)- but the point is, I was good to them. Now there is just the memory of how we used to have fish, that no one else cared about, and I managed to let die. Did I mention that I cleaned out the bowl every week? And talked to them a lot?
    .... Excuse me, I have to go hyperventilate into a brown bag.
    But good luck with yours :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, you may think Mum's exaggerating, but she's totally not. Not only did she read books about them, she read book TO them.(I know what you're thinking - is this a cute thing to do or just plain worrying? I've tried to make sense of these things for quite some time now...I totally lean toward the weeeeeird category). But no, I'm just joking. Mum really did take very good care of all of our pets, but Nature will take it's course.
    See Bec, it's not your fault the fish needed to eat more frequently than every 4 days. That was Nature's doing! So really, Nature killed the fish. Had the fish's eating habits been different, there would have been no issues.
    I hereby declare you free of blame.
    Have a great day :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bec, I left a long post here that has disappeared? I don't know what happened to it,sorry!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that was strange - it wasn't there, then it came back. I don't know why :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. ps Hotmail is up and running again, (thank you Oliver! :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete