I am so glad this week is over - it has been a long, hot, and physically/ mentally draining week. But here are some of the highlights:
Husband clearly had a fun time at the Obstetrician's office on Wednesday, by sitting in the kiddie's chair in the corner...please note the toy box beside him! :)
We had a really nice visit. My Mum came with us to see the scan, but Bugalugs wasnt playing the game and hid his/her face the entire time. Husband was quite disappointed as he always really looks forward to getting 'his' photo. When we had a split second shot of the face the Doctor paused the scan but then realised she was out of photo paper stuff!! So Husband had to settle with taking a photo of the scanner with his phone! LOL :)
Mum started getting quite teary when the Doctor was pointing out the hands/fingers etc, and so missed the scan that showed the feet/toes! LOL :) All because she couldnt blink the tears away fast enough :)
Yesterday morning, Mum gave me a shift dress that she'd found in her *endless* wardrobe...she said there was no pressure to wear it, but she'd washed it and if I wanted, I could have it. I took it home and put it on straight away and wore it ALL day! That evening, I went back down to Mum and Dad's house and Dad (seriously) complimented me on how nice I looked...which was kinda awkward as we joke around so much, Im not sure when he's being genuine! LOL :) Then, a few minutes later, he turned to me and said "You look exactly like your Mum, when she was expecting" He was so sincere, it was really lovely :)
Turns out it was one of Mum's maternity dresses from when she was pregnant with me!! :D
As today tipped the scales at over 37 degrees, I spent most of today in this dress too! :) Early this morning I ducked down to Mum n Dad's place to put some things in their ceiling, and Mum stated that she didnt give it to me so that it was ALL that I wear from now on LOL :) But its so cool, and with a Mini Molly underneath, its totally modest :)
This is little Clover - she looks all tucked up, cos she was busy bouncing around her pen, playing, when I snapped this one :) She LOVES her milk! She has 3 lots of 1.5L per day and is STILL looking for more!! :) She's very short though - hard to belive that Emily and Patrick were once this size! :)
The week before last we (I) let the big calves out of our house yard...*sob*
It was VERY upsetting for me, but they have continued to come back whenever Husband rattles their grain buckets, and Emily is always keen for a scratch - even when I have to walk halfway across the paddocks to her! :)
Michael let her into our yard last week for a bucket of grain, and afterwards she settled herself down right next to Clover - can you see the size difference?! Seriously, Emily was Clover's size this time last year! :)
Yesterday, Husband and I went to Noely McNaught's dairy farm (that Dad and I work at) and we had our pick out of about 20 calves!! *bliss* This last Wednesday, was the last calf sale of the year, and unfortunately, neither of us could make it to it. Instead I called Noely out of desperation - I SO needed to get a friend/friends for Clover, and it really couldnt wait until the 9th of January, when the sales re-open. Noely said I could take my pick!!! Did I mention - *bliss*?!
So, bright and early, we showed up at the farm and were even given the option of picking out of some of the calves still in the paddock (translation: the ones that were just born that morning!!) But I decided against that as they wouldnt have had enough colostrum at this stage, so instead picked two heifers out of one of the pens :)
Fortunately, all of Noely's cows are crossed with a Beef bull, which makes them more desirable/ worth more when they're sold. This is also good for us, as we dont want dairy cows. We want beef cows. But the whole point of the exercise was to find a friend for Clover and so we're not being *too* picky.
Upon arrival, I chose two lovely little heifers (Husband had picked a gorgeous little smokey grey/white calf, but unfortunately he was a little bull calf and we definately didnt want to go there again!) and after some effort to catch them, got them loaded up and away we went!
Halfway home, I came around a sharp corner and glanced in the review mirror to check on the two girls only to discover that the back gate of the cage (on the trailer) had swung open!!! PANIC STATIONS!!! I slammed on the brakes, to get the girls to move towards the front of the trailer, and then, giving them a wide berth, ran around to the back of the trailer and re-latched the door. I also secured it with two cable ties, as I wasnt taking any chances of this happening again!! :)
The rest of the trip home was very uneventful, for which I was really glad! :)
Dad helped me unload them (as Husband was working down the coast) and Clover spent the entire day staring at them from a respectable distance! LOL! She didnt realise they were her new friends!! :) They all get on well now though!
During the trip home, I decided to name them...this time without help from Husband. I chose Chloe and Nicole. I did this on purpose because two of the last three calves we've had, Husband has named them from my 'short-list' of favourite names with the express purpose of negating us naming our child that particular name! Cheeky boy!
Chloe and Nicole were on his short-list and I definately dislike both names LOL - Huband found it really funny when I told him what I'd named them, and he agreed that he'd brought it on himself! LOL :)
Chloe took to the bottle immediately, but we're still having trouble with Nicole...apparently she's a VERY stubborn little girl. But she's also a very hungry little girl, so it wont be long before she gets with the program, Im thinking! :)
Silly internet chooses NOW to stop working, so I will upload a photo of our two new girls when I go to town tomorrow :)




Wow, there is a lot happening at your place! :) Your 'bump' is getting bigger and looks very cute on you! :) The shift dress does look really comfortable and cool Bec! Just what you want in this warm weather.
ReplyDeleteClover looks really pretty in the photo. I'm looking forward to photos of Chloe and Nicole too. Had you intended to choose two new calves, or was it too hard to only choose one? That was a good joke on Michael! :)
I hope you have an easier week. We're thinking of you :)
xoxo
You look so lovely in the dress Bec - love it! :)
ReplyDeletexo Tammy
Haha, love how you guys choose the names :P Lol.
ReplyDeleteI also really like the dress! You look fab and I would have loved to have had a dress like that when I was pregnant! Would have been so useful.
...wish I had one now too.
xox