This was going to be *finally* my first post detailing the first day of our wonderful cruise...but our internet is not co-operating with me, so instead I shall blog about something else...
So...the stags have started 'roaring', a routine marking of the seasons (so to speak) that thankfully only occurs once a year. They are noisy. They are loud. And the large stag that lives in the right-hand gully behind our house is quite a nuicense as he keeps us *me* awake at night with his constant roaring! The cheeky bugger even came into our house yard a few nights ago...I had put out a molasses drum lick for my baby calves and at around 3am (when the babies were locked away in their pen) the stag hopped the fence and was drinking their molasses water!
The roar has started early again this year - normally it doesnt begin until Easter, and lasts around 6 weeks. Last year they also started early, but then we had a spell of hotter weather and the stags stopped, and didnt start again. Im sure it was a tragedy for all the deer hunters out there, but I was just grateful to have a full night's sleep again! :)
My Husband is currently flooded out (again!) but Im hoping he will be able to catch a lift with Mum and Dad when they return from Maroochydore in the work truck this evening. Apparently when Mum and Dad were going through the Muster creek crossing this morning (on their way to town) they were nearly swept off it! So, in light of that, I more happy to have Husband safely tucked away in town somewhere instead of trying to get him home :)
My foot is aching. Perhaps when I saw Dr Saxby (the leading QLD foot specialist) last Friday and he said not to mow for a few months...I should have listened(?) I spent most of yesterday mowing Mum and Dad's lawn (with help from Rach and *somewhat* Dad on the other mowers, and Michael on the whipper-snipper) and Husband nearly had to piggy-back me home, my foot was that sore :( I have since spent my time resting (as per Dr Saxby's orders) but I get uncomfortable sitting/lying for too long...not to mention getting bored out of my brain!! But now the washing up is getting to me - Im just going to have to get up and do it, and fold the washing, and clean the bathroom, etc. Im an active person, I really think its going to harm my soul more to sit around then its going to hurt my foot to get up and do housework.
I am very excited about getting Pepper soon! She has such a lovely nature and Im sure she will bring lots of joy and happiness to our family...
Ha ha! I am simultaneously writing this and surfing eBay for my next bargain when I spotted this at the bottom of a page:
HAPPY BIDDING!
Place your bid now to avoid the disappointment of missing out. The night of the auction arrives....and you don't win because you forgot to bid, your dog chews through the modem cable, you have no power, your all time favorite movie comes on, you've had a big week and take a snooze (for 3 hours!?), you need to duck out for more ice cream, your kid/boyfriend/husband/girlfriend/flat mate/pet has the flu and wants a tissue, hot water bottle and hug.
You could have been the $5 winner!
HAHA! Too funny!!! :)
...anyway, back to Pepper...
according to Viv (the breeder) Pepper is very likely to be a 'smiler' as all the dogs in her pedigree are smilers, but it is not absolute. We should start to see her smiling at between 4 and 8 months old. I will be extremely pleased if she is a smiler :D There are so many things I love about Pepper already, like:
1. She is really cute.
2. She has the kindest nature, but has spunk as well.
3. She has super-soft fur.
4. She has the most lovely pattern on her coat.
5. She currently sleeps a lot! This is because she is the smallest.
6. She is really little.
7. She has such fine bones - she will be a delicate thing when she's grown.
8. She's happy to lie back in my arms and doesnt panic.
9. She will fit in the basket on the front of Grandad's scooter!
10. She is the perfect addition to our family :D
I am already looking into the breeder of Molly (well, Molly's Dad) which is the Dumbledeer line, to find the perfect litter out of which to pick our next fur-child :D *you have to think ahead, you know* ;) Dumbledeer is the oldest breeding line in Australia (over 50 years) and is filled with Champions. So many of Molly's characteristics are Dumbledeer traits, so we'd love to be able to capture those again :)
That's about all I can think of to ramble about...must get on to that washing up now :)
Haha - she fits into the basket on your Grandad's scooter now. How long before she grows out of it? :)
ReplyDeleteI love the 'Dumbledeer' name. I didn't know that Molly had such an illustrious pedigree!
I'm sorry your foot is still so sore :(
What is the purpose of the roaring of the stags?
xoxo
I have no idea how long she'll fit in the basket, but Im hoping for a few weeks at least :) It will be great training for her to learn to stay in the basket until I tell her otherwise :)
ReplyDeleteMolly is extremely well bred. In every generation on each direct branch of her family tree there are Champions. And ALL are black and white, not liver spotted.
A few months til relief from my foot, so I should really just get used to it! :( Dr Saxby said I could still BUY Tony Biancos, but I cant WEAR them for many months yet... :(
The stag's roaring signals their mating season - which is called 'The Roar'. I wish they were just a bit more quite about it all. Each stag, once it reaches mating age, 'challenges' the other stags by roaring as load and as crankily as it can. Other stags will either challenge the original stag by returning the roar (and eventually they will physically fight it out) or they will be intimidated and will run away. The winner gets the doe ;)
Bec, I think it's hilarious that you can still buy but not actually wear your Tony Biancos :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for the continuing 'life in the country' lessons :) I always thought, growing up, that I would have loved to live on a farm. It seemed like such a great way to live. I'm so glad Michael is getting to learn this stuff now, (and me a little bit, from the city :)
Have a good week :)
xoxo