Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Fencing...

Yesterday I managed to *wince* talk Dad into doing some much needed fencing.

On the rare occaision that we have a day 'off' it is almost always raining/too hot/we have something else more important to do, so fencing always gets pushed to the backburner. It is the one constant of farming life. No matter what the season or the weather, there are ALWAYS fences that need fixing!!

We decided to do a bit of work on the South fence because we havent checked that fence in a little while (maybe 12 months) and thought we could cut down some trees in that area to use for poles for the horse shelter we're building next week.

Anyway, about an hour or so along the South fence I realised I'D NEVER BEEN THERE BEFORE! Seriously! A few hours later we'd reached the South-West Corner and about an hour after that again (along the Western boundary) I started recognising landmarks :) We've lived on the same property for over 23 years, and although a thousand acres is large, I really thought I'd explored it all...turns out I was mistaken! :)

It was a fantastic experience for me as I discovered LOTS of interesting things, including a THRIVING tick orchid, several HUGE staghorns and a fabulously large native orchid (I would have gotten Dad to chop down the tree it is in, but the tree would have definately fallen across our newly repaired fence.

I plan on taking Husband back there on Saturday :)

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that is exciting! I love the idea of discovering something on your own property that you have never known before. I sometimes have a dream about having a house and that I am constantly exploring and constantly finding new parts of it. I love it. Does it make you wonder what else you have missed? :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! Im constantly finding 'new' staghorns or elkhorns or orchids (or at least ones I've never discovered before) in places that I've driven past literally hundreds of times before, but for some reason, my eyes haven't spotted them before!

      ...Im still plotting how to get that orchid out of the tree... LOL!

      Delete
  2. Wow! I haven't been in blog-land for ages! So many new posts :)

    Love this one! How awesome is the way life is always surprising us with things we never saw before :)

    Hope the creeks are down and you're not stranded anymore!

    xo Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy,

      We're high and dry now :) Desperately trying to keep on top of the mowing as some idiot (me) fertilised it at the start of Summer and now with all the rain, its getting a little out of control! Luckily the rain has departed (at least temporarily) so we can get on with it...but I dont think we're going to even get HALF of the lawn done thanks to the length of the grass!!

      <3 Bec

      Delete
  3. Haha Love that you fertilized and are sorry now! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really, really am! Emily and Patrick are out of their pen (in the house yard) 24 hours a day now and they cant keep up!! Forget the wilderness, the 'short' lawn is outpacing them!! :)

    ReplyDelete