Thursday, January 6, 2011

Wupperooni

My dear old rabbit was put down last night :(
I am very sad about this as he was with us for at least 8 years (I really have to go look up his birth year, so this is approximate, but I actually think he was older than this).
When I first moved to Wangaratta, then Thoona (in Victoria) the first rabbit I purchased was his grandmother who was a pure white lop-eared rabbit who I named Mary. I then kept one of her first kittens, a girl who I un-imaginatively named Baby, who was a beautiful black and white (much like Molly actually) and I bred Baby to a tan and white French Meat Rabbit, whose name was Sable. Out of their first litter, they had Wupperooni and although he was a relatively 'boring' plain bright white colour, he had a great personality and was a wonderful companion for many years, and through many tough times.

He retired to the farm about 5 years ago (before that he was a part-time inside rabbit - definately toilet trained) and has been merrily eating grass and watching all the passers-by (usually the chooks or peacocks!)

As he was half French Meat Rabbit in breeding his estimated life-span was approximately 10 years, so he has had a reasonably long life, but not always healthy...about the time he was 'retired' it was discovered that he had a brain tumour...in-operable. This seemed to have little affect on his day-to-day life with the exception that his head had a constant and permanent tilt to the right.

Wupperooni always hated the rainy weather and has had to be nursed back to health (always susceptable to a cold) several times when we lived down south...it seems old age and an excess of rain got to him...poor little fella.

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know that Im very sad, and I miss my little travelling companion :(

5 comments:

  1. I'm very sorry to hear a member of your family has passed. I hope you can always remember the good times and cherish all the cuddles you had :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you are sad Bec :( It sounds like he was an important part of your family, and you will miss him. Do you have any kittens from him to carry on the family relationship?
    We know he is ok now - I hope you soon will be too, and not missing him too badly.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww. That's sad :( Did he have any kittens?

    xo Tammy

    PS. Did you get my phone message about your chrismtas present?! Thank you so much! I can't even imagine how much time they took to make, so beautifully done :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, he did have a small litter of 4 quite a few years ago but we gave all of them away (it was a slight case of an unknown hole in the fence between him and the lady rabbit!) because we didnt want any more to look after...maybe I could track one of them down?? A few months ago I put him in with our current lady rabbit (ok, this was another case of an unknown hole, but eventually just decided to open the divider between the two) and they have been living together since then...but alas, he must have been too old to work, cos nothing resulted of the tryst :(

    Thanks Tammy!! Im so glad you liked them cos each one took FOREVER to do!! Um, still no service out here so I guess I'll get the message once the floodwaters go down and I can get back to town :) I really dont mind if you all want to swap... to get which ever colours suit you, but Michael did actually contribute to these presents by picking each colour for each of you, so I hope you like them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bec, we all wanted to keep our own colours, so you and Michael did well :) Thank you again! - such a lot of effort, and done so nicely! :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete