Saturday, November 20, 2010

Our yard...then...

This is our back yard shortly after we (Dad and I) cut the timber (off our property) then organised a backhoe (Thanks Peter Michaels!) to stand them, then arranged the concreter (Scotty) to pour our slab! A lot of work went in to this project to get it to this stage, but it was helped along by the fact that I'd talked Mum into remodelling her chook pen at the same time :)





This is the slab for our gazebo....please note all the fencing/spare wire/excess rio/outdoor chairs etc that was erected to help keep all the livestock off the wet cement (also note the lack of our house fence at this stage)...




This is the best view...and right from our main doors! :)



OK, so this isnt AS nice of a view...we've actually put our fridge in front of the door that opens onto this view...note the creek behind all the buildings at the bottom of the hill and the dam to the far right of this picture...



OK, so you couldn't actually see the little dam, but its right beside that big gum tree...there's also another gum to the right (and closer to our house) from the one that you can see (about 20m).



And this is the view out our back door (standing in Molly's room, looking out over our "garage".

All of these photo's were taken on the 23/01/2010 (I know, and the chook pen STILL isnt finished...!!) I think its great to take 'before' and 'after' shots...its just a shame I often forget until 'after' something has been accomplished before I remember to take the 'before' shots!

In some of the shots you can even see the strainer posts we had put in by Peter Michaels in preparation of Michael (My Michael) putting up a fence for our 'house paddock'...Im quite sure now that my husband regrets doing the house paddock as this requires almost constant mowing this time of year! And as I have been banned from mowing for the foreseeable future by the chiropractor (because of my back) it is now Michael's job....I know, I know, it looks super short right now (in the photos) however, these photos were taken at the end of summer (dry season) and the cows and horses were keeping it quite short until he put up the fence!

An example of the length of our lawn: On Halloween night, the nieces and nephews came up and 'trick or treat-ed' us and afterwards (on a sugar high) they played a game of Tiggy. My 13 year old niece Tanesha decided to lay down on the lawn (up past the chook pen)...the other kids ran right past her and DIDNT EVEN SEE HER!!
Thus, this prompted a whole new round of nagging for my husband to mow the lawn... :)


1 comment:

  1. Bec, I don't think you can take 'before' shots after the 'after' shots, but I could be wrong.. :)
    We used to have a sheep for a while in Woomera (in the desert in SA) when I was little, that kept the grass short without mowing - great idea! (Or Michael could just mow... :) I laughed at all of the gear you had to put up to keep the animals off the wet cement. I can imagine someone not used to how things work, not doing it and finding a huge mess later! (Neil, for instance)
    Everything looks beautiful - thank you for posting the pics. We'd love to come and visit sometime, see your little home etc.
    Have a great day!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete