The Real Birth Story
As Told by Dad
On the 29th of April 3013 I was woken at about
3:30am by Bec who was having a lot of pains which she thought might be early
labour she had been up for the last hour trying to time both duration and time
between contractions and it seemed to be all over the place. She had woken me because she wanted me to
call the hospital and check with them about if we should be coming down. The midwife that I spoke to said for Bec to
have a hot shower which should help her body relax and the pain to ease. She
said Bec should then try and go back to sleep. As I relayed the info to Bec she
was less than impressed because it seemed that the midwife was ignoring the
fact that we lived an hour and a half away from the hospital but we decided to
try what she had said. Bec went and had a nice hot shower while I lay back down
in bed for a couple of minutes. When Bec
came back out of the shower the pain had not eased but rather intensified so I
called the hospital again. Again I got the same midwife. After explaining the
situation to her she reluctantly suggested that if we really wanted we could
start heading down to the hospital and get checked out but added that the
indications were that things were a long way off yet and hinted that we should
just stay home for a while longer yet and see if it really was labour or not.
So I told her we were on our way!
After going through a few more details and getting an ETA
off me I was off the phone and we were a go.
I quickly made two more phone calls. One to Bec’s parents so they could
get ready (they were coming to the hospital with us) and the other to my
parents to give them a heads up as well.
Once off the phone things moved at a snails pace. Our bags were already packed and in the car
(as they had been for the last week or two) so I have no idea what took us so
long but 40 minutes later we were finally driving down the hill to Bec’s
parent’s house.
Although Bruce & Wendy were coming down with us they had
an errand to run on the way. They were taking Pepper in to Amamoor to stay with
Rach while we were heading straight to hospital. All we needed to do at Bruce &
Wendy’s was drop Pepper of with her bedding, food and some toys but as at home
somehow we ended up being their for a lot longer(20-30 minutes). Bec’s
contractions continuing the whole time.
Finally we were off!
As we headed out the gate I was thinking to myself ‘Nothing to worry
about. We’re on our way, the hospital knows when to expect us and it’s a good
hospital. They will take good care of us.’ It was about this time as we drive
out the gate that Bec turned to me and said ‘I think we left it to long.’ Talk
about pressure because then she adds ‘I’m not having this baby in the car’
(i.e. Get us to the hospital NOW).
The trip down wasn’t too bad I was trying to drive, make
sure I didn’t take a wrong turn (which I had done once or twice on previous
visits), comfort Bec and time contractions all at the same time which for a guy
used to only doing one thing at a time was stressful. We were just travelling
past Cooroy when all of a sudden Bec had about 5 or 6 contractions in a row
almost without break which were more painful than she had previously
experienced. After that we were both worried again that Bec wouldn’t make it to
the hospital but luckily nothing that bad happened for the rest of the trip.
When we were about a ½ hour out I called the hospital again to update them as
to what time we would be arriving. As we
were approaching the overpass on Maroochydore Road Bec mentioned that she was starving
so we talked briefly about stopping for Maccas but decided against it in the
end because of time.
We Finally arrived at the hospital and I pulled up in the
ambulance zone right in front of the ramp leading up to the main hospital
entrance were I was planning to leave Bec on the seat at the foot of the ramp
while I found a park but a wonderful nurse walking past saw the difficulty Bec
was having just getting out of the car and she came straight over to help. She told us to stay right their and not to
worry about where the car was parked while she would go inside quickly and get
an orderly with a wheelchair. This was a
good plan until Bec saw a good park open up. Quick! Bec said go and move the
car! But I was worried they would come for her while I was parking the car so I
tried to tell Bec that it was okay, that once she was settled I could move
it. Boy was that the wrong thing to
say! Let’s just say I was told in no
uncertain terms to move the car…So I moved the car.
It was a minute or two after I parked the car, and as I was
coming back with all the luggage that the nurse came back with the orderly and
a wheelchair and we headed in to the hospital.
We arrived in the maternity ward and we were taken to birthing suite
number 3 and we were assigned Tracy
as our midwife. Tracy was absolutely fantastic. Tracey sat us
down in the birthing suite and talked to us about what to expect. About what
she would be doing, about what she would be asking Bec to do, and generally
what we could or couldn’t do during the labour. This talk went on for about 15
minutes during which time (unbeknown to us) Bruce and Wendy had arrived. By the
time we had been taken back to the room, they had settled themselves in for the
long haul. We had been sent back to our room by Tracey because she felt that we
were only in the very early stages of labour. By this time it was probably
around 8am, and Kirsten was due to make her rounds in about half an hour. In
the meantime we updated Bec’s parents about what had happened to us, and they
assured us that Pep had been dropped off safely, and was happily playing with
Sarah.
In due course, Kirsten arrived and Bruce and Wendy were
asked to leave the room while she checked Bec over. During Kirsten’s
examination she discovered that Bec was already 9cms dilated – much to
everyone’s surprise! At this point things happened fairly quickly. Bruce and
Wendy and Tracey were all updated as to what was going on, and Bec and I were
hustled back over to the birthing suite by Tracey.
Bec’s contractions were starting to get more regular and
they were definitely getting stronger. Tracey suggested that Bec try hopping in
the shower, which Bec did. The shower was fantastic. It had two heads, one
mounted on each wall. The heads were mounted on rails so that they could be
moved up or down. This meant that Bec could have one jet of water on her front,
and one on her back at the same time, which she appreciated but would have
appreciated more if she wasn’t in so much pain. At this point, I was feeling a
little bit useless because there wasn’t a great deal I could do to ease Bec’s
discomfit. Bec stayed in the shower for at least an hour, and Tracey would come
and check on her every 10 minutes or so. Near the end, I was sent back to our
room to bring Wendy into the birthing suite. Wendy followed me back, and after
yelling a quick hello she went and sat on the chair at the far end of the
birthing suite (near the birthing pond) to give Bec some privacy. Sometime near
the end of Bec’s shower time, she asked me if I would ask Tracey for some
Panadol to help with the pain. Tracey sort of laughed at me and explained that
at this point, Panadol would do absolutely nothing so there was no point in
having any. I went back and told Bec the news, and Bec’s face fell. She’d really
been counting on some Panadol. After a minute, Bec said she really didn’t care.
She really wanted some Panadol. So I went back to Tracey and asked again,
explaining that we understood that it wouldn’t do much, but I said it was more
of a placebo effect than anything. So, Tracey got some Panadol, I gave it to
Bec and Bec was happier. After a while, it was suggested that we might like to
change positions, and would Bec like to try the bath. Bec said she would, so
Tracey went and ran it for her. When Bec came out of the shower to hop in the
bath (across the birthing suite, near Wendy) Wendy made a big deal about the
fact that she wasn’t wearing her glasses, so she couldn’t really see Bec (or
much of anything else!) This became more apparent later on in the day, as
you’ll hear later.
The bath was a lovely big thing again with unlimited hot
water. It also had a shower rose above it which could be detached and held in
your hand so while Bec was in the tub I had the shower rose directed onto her
back which was out of the water. This meant that the water stayed hot because
of a continual stream of hot from the shower but somebody had to reach in and
pull the plug occasionally to stop the bath from overflowing. As the morning
wore on Bec wasn’t progressing which had Tracy
a little concerned. We went back and
forward between the shower and the bath several time sometimes stoping to try
something new on the bed or a chair etc.
At about 10:45 – 11:00
Kirsten Morrow came in doing her rounds and found that baby’s head was
on its side and couldn’t engage properly because of it which was why labour had
been stalled for the last hour or two.
For the next couple of hours Tracy
had Bec standing at the base of the bed while she ran Bec through exercises she
needed to do to try and straighten baby’s head.
This involved me on one side of Bec and Wendy on the other helping Bec
to move her legs one at a time up and out before bringing them back down.
I can’t remember exactly how long we kept that up but it
seemed like ages. I digress now to fill
you in on a few other things from that day.
Through this whole thing Bruce sat back in the room waiting for
news. Several time I or Wendy went back
to update him. I’m sure his back must have been killing him but even though he
was offered the bed to lie down on several times he declined (maybe because he
didn’t feel right laying down when Bec was in so much pain).
Leading up to the birth Bec and I as well as Wendy had
stockpiled supplies to see us through the day.
We had Pringles, jelly beans, dried apricots, Raspberry cream lollies, Chikos
among other things and throughout the day we would partake of these snacks to
keep our strength up. Jelly beans are a
favourite for Bec and I would often bring a couple over to her. Unbeknown to us however both Tracy and Wendy
like the black jelly beans best so when we opened a pack one of them would
quickly eat the black ones and the other would comment on how there were no
black jelly beans until the same thing happened when the second pack was opened
it finally clicked to them both and gave us all a good laugh.
Another funny thing that happened was when at one stage I
was doing something else and asked Wendy to keep the shower on Bec’s back in
the bath while
I was busy. This worked fine for about a minute until Wendy started spraying water up near Bec’s head. It turns out Wendy really can’t see much without her glasses just a general shape that was Bec. Again this caused a bit of a laugh for the four of us in the room.
I was busy. This worked fine for about a minute until Wendy started spraying water up near Bec’s head. It turns out Wendy really can’t see much without her glasses just a general shape that was Bec. Again this caused a bit of a laugh for the four of us in the room.
At some stage Tracy (who was on the phone to Kirsten a lot
throughout the whole thing) broke Bec’s waters although now that I think about
it I’m not really sure when that was. Tracy
got an instrument that looked a lot like a cross between a long knitting needle
and a crochet hook which would snag and tear the amniotic sac therefore braking
Bec’s waters. When it happened Bec
described it as the most disgusting thing she had ever felt. If memory serves me right I think this
happened a couple of hours after arrival in the birthing suite but a little
before Kirsten came and found baby’s head on its side.
As the day wore on things started to get a bit more serious.
Bec was wearing out and the baby wasn’t coming.
Eventually Kirsten came back (about 1pm) and decided Bec needed some
help to get baby out. She explained that there were a couple of ways to help
baby out. First she was going to try suction.
This involved attaching a small suction cap to the baby’s head. Then
creating a vacuum (suction) so when Bec pushed Kirsten would pull and working
together the baby would be delivered.
This was the theory. As we were
about to find out things don’t always go to plan.
First of all Bec had to be put in the stirrups which isn’t
the most comfortable way to give birth.
Secondly, the suction cap came off.
That’s right. Bec pushed, Kirsten pulled, and the cap came off. This was tried once more with the same result
– possibly because Saphira had a decent amount of hair on her head making it
hard to really get good suction. Having said that it must have made some
suction because Saphira had several spots where her scalp was broken because of
when the suction ripped off. It took literally weeks for her head to heal
fully. She still has a scar on her head from it.
Because suction didn’t work we had to move to the next
option which was forceps. By this stage
Bec had already been through a lot and was nearing the end of her tether. The
forceps were not going to help her feel better.
They were approx a metre long with cup shaped wire ends and curls in the
neck near the cups. The idea being that
the cup ends would be inserted and encircle the baby’s head while the two
forceps would lock together at the curly parts. Four different times Kirsten
tried to get the forceps locked together but every time Kirsten tried to get
the second half of the forceps in and locked in place it would scrap on
something internally and Bec would literally be leaping out of the bed in agony
and Kirsten would have to stop the procedure.
Eventually Kirsten decided that forceps were not going to work.
The new game plan was that she would try suction one more
time and if that didn’t work she would take Bec up to surgery for an emergency
c-section. Kirsten also said she would
make a small incision to help but Bec must have missed that part. The small incision turned out to be an
episiotomy after which Kirsten attached the suction cap again and got
ready. Bec was almost hysterical by this
time but Kirsten talked to her about the need for her to push as well because it
wouldn’t work if she didn’t. So Bec
geared up for the final few pushes. Five
minutes later Saphira’s head arrived into the world. Again at the point Bec was ready to collapse
as she had thought that that was it.
When she was told that she needed to push again, that the Baby was only
halfway out it almost crushed her. I have no idea where she mustered the
strength from but she did and two pushes later Saphira was born at 2:22pm
29-4-13.
I am now a Dad :)
And a fabulous Dad at that :)
ReplyDeletexo Tammy
Yep, he sure is :)
ReplyDeleteIt's really nice having the story from both ends, as it were! It's lovely to see you both as parents :) And lovely for us to have Saphira in our lives too! :) Well done, both of you :)
ReplyDeletexoxo