Thursday, July 1, 2010

Poor Molly

Dingos are a real problem on our property. They arent all wonderful and cute like the greenies would have you believe. They attack our calves (and sometimes even fully grown cows, if there's a pack of dogs) and dont kill them before begining to eat them...can you imagine a more horrible death?

So, with our local council putting a bounty of $44 per scalp, we have now found a great way to make money whilst solving a huge problem for our property. My brother Nathaniel is our head dingo hunter. His latest ploy for harvesting them is to use dingo traps, which humanely catch a dingo by the paw (kind of like a bear trap but without all the teeth) and hold the dingo in that spot until someone comes by to shoot and scalp it. Nathaniel also uses dog 'scent' which helps to attract the dog and also sometimes a dead bird located nearby.

This system has worked perfectly for the last couple of months, with Nathaniel checking the traps every evening...right up til yesterday!

When Nathaniel checked his traps... Molly was caught in one of them!!

He released her straight away and she ran back towards home, but she was limping. So he drove up to our house (about 1km from this trap), caught her and examined her foot. Its not broken (*sigh of relief*) but she was favouring it. By the time Michael got home in the evening, her poor paw (ha - that's funny when you say it out loud!) was all swollen and she was really limping.

However, status report this morning is that although still very swollen, the verdict is still that she hasnt broken anything, and is hardly favouring it at all...talk about lucky!!

I cant wait to get home and check her out for myself! :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh no! Poor (paw - haha) Molly :(

    How horrible. I'm glad she's okay though. Big sigh of relief :)

    And exciting news about the bounty per dingo head! go hunters! :)

    xo Tammy

    PS. Really great to see you last week! Loved your ward :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. if we had a property over in the Kilkivan shire (about 2 hours north of us) they have a bounty of $165.00 each!!

    I still havent seen her for myself yet (going home once Michael wakes up) but mum assures me she's ok :)

    Great to see you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, I'm so sorry! I hope Molly's paw is all better by now! Thank goodness it wasn't a trap with teeth. Do the cattle or other animals have to worry about getting caught too!?
    We loved coming to your ward too Bec. We really enjoyed hearing Michael's talk, and being in his lesson too :) If you are ever speaking (I know you don't have any upcoming plans just now, but if it ever happens one day..) - we'd love to be there too. Perhaps next time you can be teaching the RS lesson too... :) (haha, I know you don't see that happening too soon either, but you never know... never say never, they say :) I'm sure you'd be good, if you ever did do it :)

    xo

    ps My mother had a dingo as a pet when she was growing up, in Darwin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw! Molly's poor paw! (Bahaha - I know, it's old and I'm the last person to do it, but it amused me :))

    I'm glad she's ok! She would have been scared :(
    Yay for the money though! Oh! You guys should totally move to Kilkivan shire (whereever the heck that it) and make it your full time job to round up dingos :)

    ReplyDelete