Every second Thursday night, without fail, becomes something I dread. This is because Michael gets paid every second Friday, and that's when we do our 'big' shop. This makes Thursday night's dinner somewhat of a challenge.
Its not that there's nothing to eat - there's plenty. We have fantastic food storage, thanks to (up until recently) regular wet seasons that require us to remain at home for up to a week at a time, which occurs several times per wet season. (We're still waiting for the wet season from last year - Catch up weather!) So there's plenty to eat...but I don't feel like eating any of it! Probably because I'm too busy imagining all the wonderful vegetables that will be entering my household tomorrow afternoon, or I'm envisioning the delightful creations and mouth-watering delicacies my Husband will throw together (if I just hold out for long enough...)
So, tonight, with MUCH procrastinating (its now after 9pm), I've thrown together a stir fry. All because my sister mentioned hours ago that she was making that for her and Nesha tonight. I go to the 'storage' cupboard (Pantry 2), and peruse my options, knowing that as I had made a stir fry last week, I didn't have all of my 'favourite' ingredients to duplicate the feat *facepalm*. After rooting around in there for several minutes I came up with:
1. Chick peas!
2. Sliced water chestnuts!!! (score!!) and;
3. Tinned peas and corn.
I'd already defrosted some chicken breasts earlier in the day. Then I meandered back to our 'everyday' cupboard (Pantry 1) and was DEVESTATED to realise that I was completely out of my favourite stir fry sauce! Heck! What was I going to do now?? After pawing through many tins of spaghetti sauce and chicken tonight sauce and even stroganoff sauce, I finally, at the very dark, back reaches of the lowest shelf find a jar of Apricot Chicken 99% FAT FREE!! *pfft*
What a waste of my time!
Anyway, I put it all together and I'm about to go - *ick* - eat it, but thought I should share my dreaded adventures of 2nd Thursday night dinner...here's hoping its edible
I hate looking in the cupboard or fridge, seeing all that food and having no idea what to cook. Then after looking, I just don't want to cook, but I don't want to go out and get something. Oh well. If only I had a magic wand and it could magically appear before me. The nights I do prepare feels good, just not the nights I procrastinated all day and still have no idea by dinner time.
ReplyDeleteAlso thanks for the earrings for my birthday. They're pretty :)
Yep, much better if I got my act together early :) LOL :)
ReplyDeleteYou're very welcome - I thought they were lovely too :)
Hahaha! I have the same dilemmas on Wednesdays! (Pay day is every second Thursday :P)
ReplyDeleteBut a meal that I love on those days is scrambled eggs and baked beans on toast for dinner, along with bacon if we're lucky enough to have some in the freezer :) I use it as my 'sorry Robbie we don't have the money for anything else' dinner but secretly (or not so secretly cos I can never hide how stoked I am :D) I love it!!! Breakfast for dinner - woot! And we tend to always have some eggs and baked beans in the fridge/cupboard so that works out well (I also love my baked bean toasties for lunch :)).
Anyway, your meal sounded yum to me! Yay for Friday pay and shopping day though :D :D
Secretly Bethy, I'm with Robbie (yuck!) but if it makes you happy, it'll make him happy :)
ReplyDeleteIt was quite a yummy meal :)
And Peppie loved the left-overs :)
If you are reading this, I am guessing that you have somehow managed to live through the dreaded dinner dilemma? :)
ReplyDeleteIt actually doesn't sound too bad to me - but I have a clear preference for any meal that I don't have to cook! :)
xoxo
I think it's wonderful that you only have this problem every 2nd Thursday.... it's sort of how I approach dinner every night... Bahaha! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping that one day, when I'm all grown up, I'll eat really dinners like all the other grownups.... lol!
xoxo Tammy