I nudged Dad, and pointed out the old fellow. He looked
over, looked back at the easy-to-navigate intersection (had we continued the
way we were going) and stifling a sigh, he said we’d better go help.
Then we were stuck at the intersection for ages, trying to go straight across (no
street lights) J
When we finally made it across, Dad quickly parked as I lept
out of the truck. (In the process, deeply gouging the back of my leg on the
corner of the truck door) The older gentleman was struggling with his scooter,
his pants, and he was halfway out on the road. I was quite concerned that he’d
get skittled if we took much longer.
I rushed up to him, and gently taking his arm, I asked if we
could assist him. He said his scooter had just stopped working, and he was
concerned that the battery was flat. I offered to push his scooter home, if
that was the case. He looked at me as if I was a bit kooky, and said his house
was up near the water tower. (*inward sigh* The water tower was a good 1.5kms
away, and it was very hot!)
‘Still,’ I said, ‘We’ll make sure you get home safely.’
By this time, Dad had caught up with us, and kindly assisted
the old fella with his daks, as his suspenders had gotten caught on a lever on
his scooter when he was getting off it to see what the problem was, and had
unhooked his suspenders, and the poor fellow was having the devil of a time
trying to keep his pants up J Dad was joking with him about how it was an electric
scooter and we were electricians, so of course we could fix it! (No way!!
We don’t work on scooters!! That would be like working on washing machines or
dryers – yuck!)
While Dad helped him out, I was searching the scooter for
the brake release (luckily I’d had some training from when we’d inherited
Grandad Bull’s scooter) and with that, Dad came back and fiddled with the key.
Suddenly, it started up again (and was a really fast scooter = scooter on
steroids!) and we helped the older man to get it across the road. He was
worried about it conking out again, and that it wouldn’t make it up the steep
incline to the footpath. But Dad assured him that it would work, so the old guy
hopped on and away he went J
*high five* to us!
Mind you, old guy
didn’t even look back – but he had already thanked Dad for helping him with his
shorts…
And thus, you never know when the opportunity to serve will
occur J
We received a wonderful feel-good feeling for having completed this service,
and the older fellow got home out of the burning hot sun, so it was a win-win
situation J
It must have been such a relief for him to have someone stop to help! I'd have been stressed if I was him :) Good job Bec & Bruce!
ReplyDeletexoxo
Electricians to the rescue!! That's a lovely story, so nice for him to have had you two willing people to help :) xo
ReplyDeleteThat's nice, Bec :) You and your Dad are a good example of helping others, and serving in all sorts of ways. I'm glad you were there to him the man :)
ReplyDeletexoxo