I read the comments because I was genuinely interested on
how the ‘world’ views Gender Selection. I, personally, am against it…but until
I walk in those particular shoes, who am I to judge? If I was in a different
situation to what I am, perhaps I would consider it. But going off my current
situation I am firmly against it. I recently created (with the help of my
Husband and the Lord) a beautiful human being. She is perfect and wonderful,
and yes, she cries and makes me a little crazy at times, but I made
her! And even though I am SO GLAD she’s a she, I would have learned to be okay
with her being a he too.
Having babies was never on my ‘to-do’ list. I didn’t want to
have babies, and we were told repeatedly (by several experts) that it just
wasn’t going to be on the cards for us unless we had extreme intervention and
paid many, many dollars for the privilege, and even then there were no
guarantees.
After suffering from incredibly B-A-D morning (read:
all-flipin’-day) sickness from the day of conception, and then being tortured for hours during the labour,
I had a little trouble bonding with our Princess. Her Daddy understood, and to
be honest, he more than made up for my lack of enthusiasm…he is the proudest Daddy EVER!
It took me a couple of days before I realised that I even liked my Beb-beh, and several weeks before I
grew to love her. But now that I do,
there is nothing that will get between us. I feel overwhelmed by the sweetness
of her, the purity of her. I cannot even comprehend that she chose us to be her parents. She wakes up with
a smile. She recognises me…not just me as a chow-chow factory, but ME. She
stares at Peppie and Peppie stares back (they have reached a level of mutual
tolerance…and are working on the ‘love’ part! LOL!). She adores her Daddy! I
might spend an hour feeding her each time, but her Daddy burps her, often
changes her, wraps her (because I suck at swaddling!), and holds her through
the long, dark hours of the night until she goes to sleep. We are a family. We have
*finally* bonded. And although it took a while (for me at least), I still
wouldn’t have swapped those sleep-deprived weeks for anything!
And so the post on Babyhintsandtips made me so sad. Plenty
of the commenters said that they were against Gender Selection *pats them on
the back*, but some commenters were for it. One even made the comment that
‘Until you have lived with EGD you have no idea how hard it is’. This made me
curious. What is EGD?
…and so I asked. An admin for Babyhintsandtips replied with
‘Extreme Gender Disappointment’. So I googled it. Man! That was the WRONG thing
to do!! I cannot even express how sad these posts made me. Everything
from the mother self-harming to the mother wanting late-term abortion, simply
because the baby was the ‘wrong’ gender. My heart broke. I’m trying so hard to
have empathy for these women who feel this way…but the fact is: I just don’t
understand it. Why cant they just be grateful for the ‘miracle of life’? Why?
Why? Why? Why?
Why does it matter?
My best friend is one of 8 girls. EIGHT! Do you think her
Dad would have liked a son? I reckon. But I’m equally certain that he would NOT
have resorted to Gender Selection, and I know her mother didn’t suffer from
EGD. EVERY life is precious. Every. Single. One.
I cringe at the thought of waking her, but I’m going to go and hug my baby now. I am grateful she’s in
our lives, and I am grateful for pink! But it wouldn’t have mattered if she was
a boy, she’s a part of our family and I wouldn’t trade her for anything. :)
Awww, I loved this post Bec. Loved it. What a wonderful mother you are :) I love to see how happy you all are, and I too, loooooove your beh-bee :) Hope I'm as blessed as you guys one day :)
ReplyDeletexo Tammy
PS. No one, anyway, has EVER seen a prouder Dad than Micky, lol!!
Aw!!! I LOVE this post!!! Your little girl is perfect, and so lucky to have a mummy who loves her so much as well as that proudest daddy :) beautiful! xo
ReplyDeleteHi Bec, I don't think we've met, but I know Micky (and Tammy and Abby and Jonathon) from years ago in Institute choir) so I'm not some completely random reader from the Internet :-) Just thought I'd share my experience with gender disappointment. Mine was in no way extreme, but it does rear it's ugly head now and again when I least expect it. I have 3 boys, and we were so certain our last baby would be a girl, so when we found out in the 20 week scan it was a boy it took a lot of getting used to. So much so that I didn't completely believe it until he was born... I don't think the experience with our second baby of being told that he was a girl at 20 weeks and then finding out at 30 weeks that he was a boy helped that ;-) Anyway, Xander was born and he was such a wonderful addition to our family that I can't imagine life without him. I've since had a few medical issues which ensures that he is our last baby. The second wave of disappointment I think started when the surgeon said that it wasn't a good idea to have more children, (and more importantly Heavenly Father said that too) that the whole finality of never having a daughter really hit. It's often little things that hurt... Like my husband and I watching something with a father/daughter moment shown and my husband realising that he'll never have that opportunity. I know how blessed I am to be able to have 3 wonderful boys, but I would have loved to have a daughter too.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, sorry for the essay :-)
Dianne, I don't know if I'm just having an emotional day, but your comment made me all tear-y! (I read a quote somewhere recently that defined disappointment as grieving for something you never had.) I'm sure that must have been hard.
DeleteI hope you have three wonderful daughters-in-law and many pink-dressed grand-daughters in your future!! :)
xo
What a wonderful post Bec! I loved reading about your feelings and experiences and thoughts about it all. Michael is the probably the most doting father I have ever seen! It's beautiful to see the three of you bonding into such a special little family :)
ReplyDeletexoxo
(Time for more photos of the little Princess? :)
It definitely is, but out internet is playing up at the moment, and wont load photos for me - I have put up a little video of her though :)
DeleteI love this post too :)
ReplyDeleteYou are such a great mummy and Saphira is so blessed to have you two!!
I also LOVE having pink, pink, pink baby clothes!
Robbie teared a bit when we found out it was a girl because he was sooo keen for a boy (my sympathy was kinda non-existent :P lol) but obviously he loves her to death :)
I find it so sad to learn about that EGD. I completely understand yearning for a certain gender and being so sad and disappointed if you can't have that (like Dianna, who I also hopes gets lots of pink pink grand-daughters!) but I find it horribly sad that people would want to give up their babies or terminate their pregnancies purely because they're a different gender. Those poor children.
I also have a friend who has had 5 boys and is pregnant with her last baby. She gets sick, like hospitalized sick, when she's pregnant so it's a rough trot. Anyway, she soooo wants a girl so bad so I'm really trying to send feminine thoughts her way! Lol.